Monday, August 31, 2009

Macro Moment #2


Freckles IV
Originally uploaded by Dalantech.
This time I asked my wife to help me shoot a short video on baiting honeybees with corn syrup and using the left hand brace technique to control the movement in the scene. Something that I didn't mention in the video is that I take a lot of images to get the one shot that I'm looking for -just too many variables to deal with. The depth is thin, moving the area of acceptable focus just a fraction of a millimeter can change the composition, and bees are constantly moving their antennas. Frequently I'll nail every aspect of a shot only to have to deleted it because the bee moved it's antenna right as I was pressing the shutter and it's obscuring an important feature like the eye or the proboscis.


4 comments:

hometownglory said...

I featured you on my inspiration blog. Keep up the good work.

http://morganninspire.blogspot.com/

Mark said...

Thank you for the video, it was very useful, I will try that technique.

chriissis said...

Hey again.

What you use to diffuse the flash?

Dalantech said...

Thanks hometownglory and Mark :)

@ Puiu: I'm going to do a video soon that will show my camera rig and I'll spend some time explaining my lighting setup :)