Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Canon's EF-S 60mm -the Poor Man's MPE-65mm


Spring in September IV
Originally uploaded by Dalantech.
One of the good things to come out of my MPE-65mm breaking is that I was forced to dust off an EF-S 60mm and since I like shooting above life size I added extension tubes to it. The lens seems to lose a lot of focal length at life size and acts like a 37mm lens, since it only takes 37mm of extension to hit 2x. With a full set of Kenko tubes it would be closer to 3:1. IMHO it's not as sharp as the MPE-65mm, and the color and contrast isn't as good. But for the price tag it's well worth it for anyone looking for a cheaper alternative to the MPE. I also like the weight of the 60mm -even with a lot of extension the balance feels really good.

1 comment:

Kurt (OrionMystery) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.